Alt Sheff

The guide to Sheffield's
radical, alternative, ethical
business and groups

Why do more children get to university from Sheffield than Bristol?

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 7.30pm Showroom Cafe Bar, 15 Paternoster Row S1 2BX

Professor Danny Dorling speaks at a Skeptics in the Pub get-together. A few years ago, when Britain was booming, politicians did not want to talk about inequality as long as everyone paid their taxes (and even when many did not). Now that has all changed and there is more and more talk about equality and fairness. Excluding first homes and pensions, the richest 1% of people in Britain now hold just over half of all the 'spare' wealth of this country. The other 99% hold less than half between them all. Britain now has one of the lowest overall life expectancies in Western Europe. Could rising inequality explain much more than just unfairness? Including why more children get to university who grow up in Sheffield than in Bristol? Or does an unjustified sense of superiority help a British Prime Minster make more stupid decisions? Is there anything in human life which cannot be usually linked to inequality?Danny has lived in Oxford, Newcastle, Bristol, Leeds and now Sheffield. His latest book is entitled "Fair Play".

Speech bubble icon Promote Alt Sheff  |  Facebook icon Alt Sheff on Facebook  |  RSS icon RSS Feeds  |  Email icon

Webarchitects Ecological Hosting Creative Commons License